Email: • Tel: 01348 837449 • Mob: 07773 291598

Ty To Cottage

Ty To (‘thatched house’) is located in the hamlet of Tretio, three miles east of
St Davids. It was once a small farmstead, most likely dating from the late-1600s, which later became a farm worker’s cottage and smallholding. From the mid-1800s
it was owned by the Davies family (Richard’s maternal family). The 1910 Finance Act shows that it was owned by Richard’s great-great-grandfather on his mother’s side, and occupied by Richard’s great-great-grandfather on his father’s side. It was later occupied by various families working at nearby Penberry Farm until 1954, when
a storm damaged the corrugated-iron-covered thatch.

It lay in a ruined, ivy-covered state until 1999, when Richard and family began restoring the cottage and its straw-rope underthatch, a rare feature once common in coastal Pembrokeshire, Ceredigion and Orkney. The restoration won a National Park award in 2002. Richard and family lived there until 2009, since when it has been rented out as a holiday let with

Click on an image to enlarge or start slideshow.
(Images 9, 13, 15-18 by Chris Tancock for Under the Thatch).




Cottage renovation